I am seriously considering this project. When building a second tier, do you have to compact the soil or level out each tier's footing? Or can you notch each post into the slope above the bottom tier? I plan on three tiers.

March 26, 9:48 AM [GMT -5]

I'm leaning towards this project for my errosion problems. I notice there is no trench or water drainage built in. How does this affect the water run-off?

January 23, 10:01 AM [GMT -5]

How do you close in the ends. I need to build a 40' wall and close the ends in soas
to keep everything within the wall

August 15, 10:22 PM [GMT -5]

We are plaing on building a retaining wall and wish to know how you and incorporate a tile drainage system and how to install a french drain system, both on the same retaining wall one on either side. We got water.

Another issue is the climate. Our area is the inland pacific north west and the temperatures run between 20 below in the winter to 100 + in the summer.

Thank you for your attention with this request.

SubNut632

August 15, 10:22 PM [GMT -5]

Thank you for your attention with this request.

SubNut632

I'm in the thinking part of this retaining wall project. Haven't even written up the plans yet. It'll end up being either 2 or 3 levels, and I need to include stairs. I'm thinking of leaving a 4' path between wall sections that have the inside ends finished off just like the outside ends will be. Then building stairs in that 4' path between the sections, where runs will be about even with ground level on each terrace, and 3- or 4-step stringers will be installed at the same places as the drops from one terrace level to the next. Does that sound reasonable, and can I attach the stringers to the walls of the wall boxes?

Just finished this project about two hours ago. Mine is slightly modified as I had the vertical posts extend 2' beyond the horizontal and into holes filled with concrete for added stability, but the stanchion / counterfort principles are the same. I also used a 4" perforated drain pipe covered with 8" of 3/4" stone for proper water drainage at the base of the wall. My wall is 20' long, looks great, and seems really strong. The whole project took me about four days from beginning to end. Thanks for the how-to info.

If you build two walls and turn the supports towards each other, will this work as a 4 foot planter box/barrier? I'm trying to block street noise and visual traffic and would like to put small trees or shrubs in the resulting structure. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

November 08, 10:50 AM [GMT -5]

I did reduce the size to 2 FT i must say it is a welcome sight.. My wife was skeptical after she saw the finished produce she is ready to place another wall lower on the hill

I built this wall with pressure treated wood and used the forms as support to build a 6 foot fence on the upper end. Works great and was easier than I had anticipated... I've never built a retainin wall of any sort.

My wall is 4 feet in height, with 2 feet under ground on my property but 75 viewable to my neighbour. Very happy with the design and the practical use of this project. Would highly recommend this project - I live in Canada, in Northern Ontario where the frost can move .. so I'll be interested in seeing how this project is after the cold winter.

I build this wall with pressure treated wood and used the forms as support to build a 6 foot fence on the upper end. Works great and was easier than I had anticipated... I've never built a retainin wall of any sort.

July 09, 9:35 AM [GMT -5]

Considering this project for the cost and perhaps labor savings. I'm concerned about longevity, anyone have experience with the synthetic deck materials on the market? Might that be a good substitute/upgrade for the treated wood?

I haven't built this project. But I HAVE put up fencing. One thing I do know is that treated wood that you get from the store protects against pests like termites and the like - not against water intrusion. So what I've done for treated posts that come in contact with the soil is brush on a barrier of tar, and ensure that it reveals itself for about an inch above grade. I would recommend that for this project. And I did see in the drawing that the ends of wood be dipped in a preservative - or something like that.

IF THIS PROJECT WORKS YOU MAY SAVE ME A LOT OF MONEY. THANK YOU.
WILLIAM

Thanks for the extra tips everybody!

I built this wall about 5-6 years ago. It still looks as good now as when I built it. Nothing has moved or bowed out on it. I have had many comments on how nice it is. I would definitely build this wall again.

July 07, 6:17 AM [GMT -5]

Haven't built this project... yet. But, I have built retaining walls before, and I can tell you, don't skimp on vertical support posts! And be sure the posts are set (and in my case, concrete also set) before backfilling! I thought I had designed my walls adequately, holding back less than 4' high dirt/stone, with 6X6 treated posts buried 5' down and spaced every 8',,, and my wall bowed under the pressure in a couple of places. It looks like a couple of my columns weren't set yet when I backfilled. It didn't cave, but it's not as pretty as I had hoped. Try telling your friends that those curves were planned!

April 13, 11:17 AM [GMT -5]

I think this wall looks great.. I can't wait to try it.. where I live.. I was considering purcahasing 6x6 pressure treated timber 16feet long.. they are $50 ... I would need about $500 worth... this method look more economical.. and very strong..can't wait to try it.. I'll keep you posted..

March 29, 11:38 AM [GMT -5]

I am going to reduce the size of the wall height using the same proportions. I am interested in the durability of the wall. Has anyone had problems???

October 21, 6:57 PM [GMT -5]

I haven't built it, but am also considering. I'm trying to figure out how stairs would work?

Page: