We finished this project last weekend - pretty much exactly followed the directions here. Getting the rocks stacked correctly and safely was definitely the hardest part. Drilling the top rock was easy - exactly the way they said it would be. Everything else was as easy as it sounded in the instructions. We are so happy with the way it came out. The only caveat would be that it is quite splashy - we are considering slowing down the flow a bit to reduce it a little as it splashes outside of the liner.

April 10, 9:59 AM [GMT -5]

Pond liners are a little pricey for my budget. Is there any reason I couldn't use sheet metal with 6 inch bent up side to make a stream. The Sheet metal would be hidden under rocks (no boulders in this stream).

I did not see any mention of this, but it is not necessary to drill a hole through stone. This is certainly very nice, but it is also possible to hide the water delivery in a cluster of stones where by the water just appears to flow out of a pile of stone.

A comment below mentioned a challenge in excavating due to stone terrain, you can build the water feature above grade. This may require more hardscape construction much like building a free standing fountain, but reduces the need to dig out stone.

Water features can also be incorporated into gardens providing a nice balance and the benefit of a harvest.

Have a great day everyone.

OK, I love the idea and want to do it. But maybe I'm dense; how does the water from the four 5-gallon pails get into the one pail that's acting as the pump bucket?

looking for project instruction for water feature in march 2012 issue. I have lost 1st page. Can't find on web site. It's on pages 30 or 31 thru page 35. Is it possile to e-mail plans? SCPLBGinc screen name

The simplicity of this design pushed me over the edge on deciding whether or not to build one of these for my wife. The only complication for me was that I had to rent a jackhammer to create the reservoir hole, as we're on VERY rocky ground. The end result is a very nice fountain, which we've decorated with holy Texas Limestone accents.

I bought used or second-hand for many of the pieces, and collected river rocks myself for the reservoir filler, so my costs ended up being in the neighborhood of $100-$120. The whole project was VERY worth the money and effort put into it.

Thanks for the design ideas!

Mark

Have been looking for a water feature to install beside my deck and believe this would be a great one. I am impressede with the instructions which give a clear picture as to the how-to. I will definitely be adding this to my landscape. Thanks to DIY

July 05, 12:26 AM [GMT -5]

I was just wondering what size pump to use for effective flow of water?

we are in the process in choosing--on this ad page their is a "create a Fountain" on the front of your magazine--can I get instructions on this one? It is stones in tan and a man is at the top of the fountain adding more "flat" rocks please let me know if you can locate this, soon as we would like to get on the project this weekend. I have given your magazine as gifts for the last five years to my husband, son and son-in-law and we love them. we have completed several projects. Thanks again for helping

JL Buttice