I was thinking that why not use a 24 inch saucer from a plastic flower pot as the mold for the the round section of the fountain (Its has approx. the same dimension on the inside 18 OD and the 3 inch depth) its tapered for easy removal. coat the plastic saucer on the inside with vegetable oil. prior to pouring with concrete....NO MOLD TO BUILD and less complicated project I

I'm very interested in building this project. But I am concerned about it being heaved on an angle by the ground during Chicago's cold winters. The pit is clearly not deep enough to be below the frost line.

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with ground heaving in cold winter climates?

Thanks,

Brian

In the words of my Mother in law "this is the best mothers day gift ever. Even after all these years she still tells everyone about it. It was really easy to make. Now I have to make one for my wife.

We made stepping stones using concrete and found items for my Mother's Day. My husband, Andrew, cut old pool chlorine buckets into rings for the forms. The kids got so carried away with the project we wound up with over 15 stones! Each one individual and a keepsake. Seeing the fountain project gives us the idea to use some of them as a water feature. Thanks.

My husband and I had been talking about adding a water feature in our backyard for some time and just couldn't find one that fit our style and price range. This was an easy project that hit both those marks. Thanks!

April 24, 8:12 AM [GMT -5]

I think I'll try this project.