April 05, 11:58 AM [GMT -5]

Will using fertilizer kill some weeds? 15-0-0 or 20-0-0?

August 01, 1:20 PM [GMT -5]

Just switched from a chemical fertilizer program to an organic one this year, and was told that I may see a weed explosion over the next 1-2 years as my lawn rids itself of the chemicals. This has been my worst year for crabgrass ever.

Question though, if I let the crab grass die out in the fall, can I just overseed and fertilize those areas, or do i need to physically pull up those dead weeds, rough up the patches and reseed?

Thank you for the easy steps. I think a lot of people, including myself, are intimidated when it comes to dealing with weeds.

July 09, 11:53 AM [GMT -5]

One of my neighbors has a lawn service come once a week, and it looks beautiful. But with kids coming up on college, cash is tight. So I got my husband to read your article and he's on the way to the home improvement store as I type this to get the stuff for the lawn. I'll keep you posted on the improved curb appeal

What kind of tree naturally controls dandelions. I thinh its some kind of maple tree according to MSU ?

Is there any good way to control weeds organicaly?

I have done all of the above in the artical in the past. This year I went all out and added some new steps. In the fall I "over seeded" and this spring I dethached, limed and let nature do her thing. My lawn is almost weed free and lush! My husband noticed just the other day, "hey, I noticed there are no weeds this year!" My extra work paid off.
P.S. I have been receiving Handyman Mag for about 4 or 5 years now...can't live without it!

I have just a couple of things to add to this article. Corn gluten, if applied at the correct time in the late winter or early spring, can be an effective pre-emergent weed and crabgrass killer. It will also provide a moderate amount of nitrogen to your soil. Also, I would not depend on just washing sprayers to rid them of weed killer chemicals. A better way is to buy a sprayer to be used exclusively for chemical weed killer. Mark it plainly and don't use it for insect sprays or soluble fertilizers. Even a small amount of residue can be harmful if sprayed on flowers or shrubs.

Great tips, I'm all over this! I hate weeds and my neighbor pays a company to spray his yard EVERY week. I am a DIY guy and while I have a great yard, I admit I have some weeds that need to be addressed. THANKS FH!!!!

My yard needs this in the worst kind of way. Thanks!

Thanks, my yard needs this ASAP!