Just started and got the toe kick out. In the back or space are brackets that take up the corner. Should I remove?

Love it. Don't have the pulls yet - on order from mockett.com. But the drawers are already in use with baking pans and some other kitchen project stuff I haven't finished with (like drawer slides lol).
There were a couple of comments about the measuring guide - but I think those comments might have been made before the cradle was built. Whatever the case, just draw it out and write your measurements on the drawing. You will figure it out.
Took us a half day to build, then wait overnight for toe kick to glue on face, then a few hours to complete the faces and stare at it with wine and beer in hand.
We used 1/2 inch for the bottom of the drawers. But prolly not even necessary.
Do it! Good luck! OH! If you figure out your cuts before you go to home depot, they will do your rips (we had them doing 3.5-inch wide rips) 2 for free and then 50 cents after that. For $2.50 all the plywood was ripped. winning!

The Drawer face plate does not stay on too well with just Nails stapled in. I purchased additional "L" Brackets and screwed mine in. I could not find the Metal pull handle and had too search for something similar. My house was built in the early 1980's, and when I still have the same kitchen it came with when I purchased it in 2008. I also purchased some additional "FRP" material and cleaned the inside top space, and then cut and glued the FRP. In the summer time, I sometimes have trouble with Ants. I went back and made a small hole in the back of my encasement, then on the back of the drawer made a space where I could place an Anti-Ant pack at the back outside of the drawer. This is extreemly easy to change every year, and effective this year so far.. Due to mopping and cleaning, I'm contimplating on adding additional trim to the bottom of the drawers to act as a mini-kick-toe and to protect the drawers.

March 12, 12:07 AM [GMT -5]

Come to Momma! I LOVE this idea!!!!

I think this is a fantastic idea. As far as dust, etc. getting in, a piece of plexiglas or whatever on top should work and granted you do have to bend down, but I do not get cookie pans, pizza pans, wire racks etc out every day, so not a problem. I have a question-can anyone think of any reason why I could not put small wheels, or those little furniture slides on bottom of drawers, rather than the slides? Am a 67 yr old woman and think that would be easier for me to do. Thank you.

When I designed my parents kitchen in Winnetka Il I added these toe kick drawers and she loves them. Great for seasonal items, platters, linens, muffin tins, cookie cutters, stuff like that.

I am starting this and have taken the necessary measurements. I have to agree with DocHoliday's assessment: measuring and cutting as instructed leaves you with 1 1/2 inches of gap where the entire assembly goes. I am glad I didn't make any cuts yet.

as a handyman and kitchen professional, and having completed over 7000 kitchen and bathroom renovations in the so called career, i can state with some authority this idea is one of those that sounds good, and can be done easily, but is somewhat crazy.

never mind the dirt and dust that will inevitably get into your cooking trays etc, but the bending over, the hardware deterioration and eventual failure, precludes me from ever suggesting this to anyone who wants a professional renovation.

as a handy man renovation, sure!

but a value enhancing, stylish, practical, clean and functional idea for a pro job,

sorry, but never.

does the author really think after all the billions of smart people before you and i and him, the he, now, after all these years, all that scrutiny, that he has discovered something new and improved?

frankly, i'm not that conceited, and wonder if he is, or should be.

especially when there are a million other ideas that work and are practical

just saying................................................

as a handy man renovation, sure!

sorry, but never.

frankly, i'm not that conceited, and wonder if he is, or should be.

especially when there are a million other ideas that work and are practical

just saying................................................

THIS PROJECT WAS A LOT EASIER THAN I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE. I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER. YOU WOULDN'T THINK THERE IS A LOT OF SPACE UNDER THE CABINET, BUT THE DRAWER CAN HOLD QUITE A BIT OF STUFF.

Love the look of this project, can't wait to try it.

will be adding this to my kitchen in the spring

I am currently doing this project. I finished the first drawer and am a little confused: I subtracted 3 3/4 from the overall width of the space and built my drawers accordingly. That is, the overall width of the front and back of the drawer is this dimension. Then I made the cradle around it and found that I have about a 1 1/2 inch gap on the side when I insert the cradle. I assumed the drawer guides would take up a lot of this space but ,not so. I've triple checked my measurements and can't figure it out. I will just follow the spirit of the directions and trust to my own common sense for the rest of the project, but I'm curious if anyone else interpreted the instructions as I did with a similar result.

Excellent! Even with only 4" toe height, we now have a place to get many of those big bulky sheets and pans OUT OF SIGHT! My wife loves it too!

August 16, 8:29 AM [GMT -5]

This project was just as easy as they claimed. You could probably get another 1/4-1/2 inch of height on the drawers. In addition, I modified the fronts to ensure a toe-kick under the cabinets.

This project inspired me to use an old piece of furniture for my fly tying gear. I purchased drawer slides and used scrap wood from other projects. It turned out fantastic! I saved an old piece of furniture and used wood that was doomed to the landfill. thank you for the inspiration.

John,
According to the article in the May 2009 issue (as opposed to May 2005 as stated in the 'Summary') it is suggested that one does an internet 'Search' for 'EPCO architectural pull' as no source for the ones in the article are listed. They are said to cost between $3 to $8 each.

Hope this helps.

Ken

May 18, 9:34 AM [GMT -5]

We have the June 2010 issue and on page 36 there is an article "Rollouts at ankle level. We are interested in finding out where we can purchase the stainless steel drawer pulls that are shown. Please have some get back to us.

John Hahn