This is a good project if you have cabinets without a shelf in the middle. Regardless, adding some pull out trays or units will really make your life easier and are worth the time it takes to make them.

Loved this plan for roll outs. My son completed the roll outs for me. However; we made one minor mod to the basic plan. Since my wife and I have problems bending over and reaching back into the roll out shelves, I had my son add rollout shelf drawers inside the roll outs. Now, my wife (73 year young) can roll out the space, then pull out the shelf drawer to get what ever she needs. Works really neatly.

November 08, 8:36 AM [GMT -5]

it would be nice if they let you print the drawings full size

June 24, 10:17 AM [GMT -5]

If I were to make this, I would change the top board with a couple steel rods. The purpose of a Rollout is: More Storage space, and to eliminate stooping and digging for your groceries.

I am currently adding more cabnets and rolling storage trays to our kitchen. these are helpful. I'm getting ready to build an island also i could use some tips or ideas if anyone has some. I really like the family handy man.

pankus dad

A questioin. Can the Kreg screw system be used to assemble these pull out drawer units? Kreg screws (combined with glue) could make the assembly go faster.

Awesome, just awesome. I did it. love it. I'm a 61 year old gal just starting to get the hang of tools. This is the BEST DIY site there is !!!!

August 19, 2:58 PM [GMT -5]

Treeman,

I had the same problem with my kitchen base cabinets. A 3/4" shelf about half way up from the bottom running the length of the cabinet. I simply cut a 1" slot in the back of my plastic bag pull-out and placed the top shelf for the boxes just above the slot. The pull-out rolls in and out clearing the existing shelf.

Like I wrote in my last post, it much eaiser to build the pull-out assembly on a 1/2" plywood base, make sure it fits your openings and make sure it rolls. Then set the whole thing inside the cabinet and screw it down to the base of the cabinet with one 2" wood screw to keep the base from moving.

August 19, 2:46 PM [GMT -5]

I built a modified thinner version for storing plastic bags, freezer bags and foil wrap. The bottom portion has a 4" ovel to access the plastic bags. The top portion holds the boxes of sandwich/freezer bags and wraps. I built the whole thing on a 1/2" plywood base and slid it in the opening.

August 03, 4:29 PM [GMT -5]

Though I like the article and found it quite useful these type of roll outs will not work with the base cabinets we purchased. Our cabinets have a solid built-in 1/2 sheft in each unit so I would need to install an upper and lower set of drawer slides. My problem is trying to figure out how to install the cleats and spacers, that the drawer slides attach to, to the sides of the cabinet walls without putting a screw out into the open face of the cabinets.

Do you glue the spacers to the cabinet walls and screw the cleats to them? Also will glue hold the weight of groceries/pots and pans?

Thanks for the good work
Jim

May 17, 4:05 AM [GMT -5]

My wife and I are currently building our second house. We purchased the cabinets for the first house and then installed the units. Although they were well constructed, they mostly had shelves in the lower cabinets and the cabinets I am building myself for this house will have almost all drawers in the lower areas.

The designs for adding roll out units in existing cabinets are well thought out but should include some discussion of the type of existing cabinets in that face frame cabinets will require the addition of spacers to clear the face frames whereas european design cabinets will more easily accept the roll out additions.

I have been waiting for Family Handyman to give me a step by step on this project... if they have done it before in the last 5 years somehow I missed it... Thank You!!
Sally

April 29, 9:32 AM [GMT -5]

This is indeed great project!!