Holding the plug follower as shown in the photo is a SURE way to cause the top pins and springs to come out.

As a locksmith, I often get calls to correct people's mistakes like this.......

Moved into an older home, entry door had no key. If the key is lost how do you remove the lock cylinder to set the new pins?

August 13, 12:26 PM [GMT -5]

Will a door knob function with the cylinder lock removed?

I have some old door knobs I would like to make use of. The keys are no where to be found. They would be put into use if the lock mechanism could be disabled, to prevent lockouts. I understand to rekey the door knob is an option, but what if I don't need a lock? I would be able to reuse the knobs for closet doors. Thanks.

October 07, 12:32 AM [GMT -5]

I found this website to get rekey sets.

Great. I like to be able to do things myself. Lifetime student of learning. Also thanks for the website to get the kit. I will be rekeying about that many locks so it is just the right size!

DWH

May 17, 10:37 AM [GMT -5]

I'm not a person that usually blindly recommends products on the web, but it looks like this company sells kits for rekeying up to 6 locksets for $10.95: "CHANGE-A-LOCK" http://changealock.com/

my hopes were dashed! i was so excited to be able to re-key my locks! alas, i was not able to find an inexpensive re-key kit for either schlage or defiant (looked online at home depot, lowes, one local locksmith). cheapest one was $90, i think it was a 'professional' set i.e. for many locks as opposed to one lock. the locksmith, however, will charge me $10 to rekey the lock if i bring it over so that's what i'm going to do. very reasonable. i assumed i'd pay that much for a kit.

i wish there was a 'thumbs-down' option.

any possibility of including sources and approximate prices for the supplies?

merci and mercy!

This is getting added to my project binder!