August 05, 8:09 PM [GMT -5]

I have an old gas furnace around early 70's. It's completely off but whenever it's over 80 degrees, it turns on by itself and blows really hot air. I do replace our filter every month. Since my gas furnace is up the attic. I was wondering if I should just change the thermostat? It's as old as the furnace. LOL! or does the furnace have a heat sensor that triggers to turn on automatically and blows hot air? Need help please.

Thanks for the tip about the the front panel connecting the blower motor switch. As soon as I put it back on and pressed the red on/ off switch I got a green LED light and it started immediately! Great info for a late Sunday night fix!

Thanks again

November 01, 10:44 AM [GMT -5]

Thanks for all the advice. I just moved into a new apartment this summer and this is the first time I'm turning on the heat just to realize it wasn't working. I thought I would look here before calling hvac service in Modesto CA and it looks like it might just need a filter change. Thanks again for your help!

October 03, 11:12 PM [GMT -5]

I could have saved a lot of money if i had just known about the batteries! I'll be checking here before I call any repairman from now on. I still don't know where to find the battery though. They hide it pretty good.

Thank you for the tip!

Remember that there are usually 2 service disconect switches. One at the top of the basement stairs and one with in 6 feet of the furnace or boiler. check the side of the equipment and the csiling directly above the equipment for the 2nd switch