April 14, 11:59 AM [GMT -5]

I built a pergola over a blue stone patio for a customer that looks very similar but with some big differences.
1. Instead of columns next to the the house, we lagged beam hangers into the house framing. I removed the siding, exposed the framing, notched in 32" 2x12 across 2 vertical studs. I placed 1x12 PVC over the sheathing and vapor barrier and lagged the beam hangers in using 3" lag screws.
2. I used structural fiberglass columns fastened to PT wood base bolted to a concrete footing.
3. The concrete footings needed to be 4' deep in our neck of the woods (NE)
4. I used cedar timber for the main beams and rafters.
5. We built in brick cabinets and added blue stone counter tops for a grilling station and a servery.
Here are some pics http://mediafaci.onlineview.it/GallerySlideshow.aspx?gallery=1550184

May 22, 10:05 AM [GMT -5]

I started this project last week. Building it on a stamped concrete patio. I used a 6" core saw to cut out the cement for the 4x4 posts. Glad I wenr with the 8" columns versus 10" columns as the 8" ones were heavy enough. Starting to frame out the beams this week. Need to formulate a plan to lift everything to the top of the 9 ft columns all by myself.

April 12, 11:22 AM [GMT -5]

This would look fantastic in my backyard!

I built a stand-alone similar to this one - 24 by 18. After running 1x2 lattice every foot across the top I installed polycarbonate panels (I designed a built in pitch to the roof) so that we could use the pergola when it rained as well as providing some UV protection. This also allowed me to install ceiling fans to help on those calm sunny days.

Can this project be modified. Longer, Wider?

May 19, 6:46 AM [GMT -5]

2002, fast forward 10 years later... time to publish a new project to your website, maybe one showing both attached and unattached versions.

To RichGoat - Generally a poured concrete patio is approx four inches thick. You merely need to use tap-cons or 5/16" to 3/8" expanding bolts (red-heds) to secure the post brackets to your existing patio and Ta-Da! Hope this helps. PMJ

This is great! I've been pondering how to make a pergola in a semi easy fashion, and have pondered the idea of columns from home depot. My issue is that I currently have stamped concrete patio, and I would need the posts to go through it. Not sure how to go about making the post holes...anyone?

mc2

July 27, 3:48 AM [GMT -5]

looking to build this on top of deck much like nikkirae...resurfacing first.....i think i'm overthinking it

Modified the Plan to fit onto the existing roof over deck. This was a fun project.

I have been looking at a lot of different styles and this is the first one my was really excited about. We will probly not start this project for a while because it will be installed on an existing deck that has to be retopped.

What a great idea for summer shade.