July 27, 1:52 AM [GMT -5]

Ok my last comment......forget it. Thats how newbie I am. I didn't know a 2x2 is actually 1-1/2x1-1/2 in size.

My bad! Great project!

July 26, 3:03 AM [GMT -5]

I might be missing something...

If there is a 1-1/2 space above the wall cleat below the ceiling, how is the 2x2 ladder rung going to fit in that space to be flush against the end panel?

Just started this project and want to make sure I make the ladder rungs right.

Thanks!

July 08, 9:47 AM [GMT -5]

I built this and love them. However, the one real issue I have is with the sliding door part of it. They just don't slide very well at all, getting stuck constantly. Is there any easy mod that would allow you to put on hinges and doors? thanks!

March 21, 1:40 AM [GMT -5]

Any suggestions on building this shelf when my ceiling is too high?

my ceiling height is 15' and to make this project successful, I would need to lower it 4'

Thanks

Built it about 3 years ago. Garage ceiling is 10' and garage is sheetrocked. I made it flush to the ceiling, dropped it down 4' so I still had 6' of underneath walking space. The total length was about 12'. Made doors vs a sliding door and ending up buying some nice hardware for handles. Painted it too. Came out real nice and functional.

I am a beginner, yet the project was not hard, took longer to build than others. Had a great time working on it, holds lots of stuff that otherwise would be an eyesore and hazard around the garage floor and for strength: This sucker is solid! I weigh 220lbs and with all the stuff in there I can do pull-ups off of it and solid as can be. Doesn't budge.

Thanks for such a nice design project for beginners.

Thanks for such a nice design project for beginners.

I built an modified set of these storage shelves in my garage last year. I only have an 8' ceiling, so not much height to work with. I built them floor to almost ceiling. Straight 2x2 lumber is a myth here, so I used 2x3s instead and adjusted the measurements to fit. I've found that 1/4" plywood doors don't stay straight, so I'm switching to hardboard the next chance I get. Since my shelves were going to the floor level anyway, in addition to screwing them to the wall studs I set them on a ladder box made from treated lumber, inset about 2" from the edges. Next year, I'll be building more of these elsewhere in the garage.

This project was great!. I am a beginner with work working and this step by step project was very easy to follow and I didn't have any trouble with any of the steps. I completed this project in one day and I probably would've finished quicker had it not been 100 degrees!! I wish I could post my pictures as I took a few while I was working.

I did make some modifications to the size and width of my cabinets as I needed the cubbies to be longer to fit my extra large sterilite plastic containers. Modifying the size of the cabinets did not affect the ease of installation and did not compromise the integrity of the cabinet strength. I did use additional lug nuts to attach the ceiling ladder as I felt it would give me more peace of mind that the cabinets would not pull away from the ceiling. In addition, I wished I used 2X4 for the bottom ladder to give it extra strength and so I didn't have to try to connect the 2X2's together end to end. That was difficult and took a lot of patience as the 2x2's tend to split (even though I did predrill). I feel that if I used 2x4's for the bottom ladder I would've been able to buy a full length piece at the required cabinet length and had a more sturdy base for the cabinet.

I would like to tell you about the track I used for the doors. I did not make my own track for the sliding doors. I purchased 3 sets of plastic track from Rockler.com: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2275&filter=track%20plastic
They are a local store here in SoCal (Torrance, CA to be exact) but you can order from their website. The tracks were very helpful and I attached them using a brad nailer and some liquid nails. I found the wood doors would not fit inside the track perfectly so I installed plexiglass doors with some decorative contact paper that wasn't too pretty for a garage. I wish you could see it!! The cabinets look fantastic and all my storage is neat and tidy.

I am going to use this plan a few more time to make smaller cabinets in different areas of the garage as the ladder can be adjusted to any length you need.

I HIGHLY recommend you try this project. It's amazing what you can accomplish on a Saturday afternoon. . . .

September 06, 9:24 AM [GMT -5]

I built a 24-foot version of the cabinets covering entire back wall of my garage. To avoid predrilling, I used Fastenmaster HeadLok heavy duty flathead fasteners instead of lag screws. Very fast and strong.

A word of caution: don't assume that your garage ceiling is straight and level. You may need to use spacers to ensure that the top run stays parallel to the bottom run for the sliding doors.

I used 1/4 in. plywood for the doors. If I had to do it over I'd find something more rigid, as the plywood will warp and interfere with the sliding no matter what you do.

2x2 has to be hardwood or furring wood is fine.

Ang

Made a shorter version of this cabinet above my washer and dryer. Works well to hide the stuff behind it, plus is a space saver as I needed cabinets that the doors didn't swing open. Pretty easy to do, as I'm a beginner DIYer. Building more for the garage now.

Is ther ea box store that sells the track? Home Depot said they don't have it. Are their matching plans for lower cabinet with sliders an dwork top? I am almost done my first set of upper cabinets....neat project.

September 02, 12:02 AM [GMT -5]

Built four compartments, two on either side of a corner. Placed peg board in the corner to hang tools and placed snow blower in corner. Connected the two units with a shelf level with the top of the cabinets for a continuous overhead shelf. I have 10 foot ceiling in my garage. Placed cabinets at 50 inches from floor to allow for 4 by 8 sheet storage below cabinet. Reinforced shelves by screwing through plywood wall into 2 by 2 cleat and by screwing 2 by 2 onto underside of shelf front edge. Door track can be purchased at doitbest.com 1/4 plastic door track, knape & vogt mfg, model #P2417TAN48, Do It Best SKU: 224037; order on line delivered to your local store, no shipping charge. Cost for 2 sets of 48 inches $22 (enough for 4 cabinets) Also comes in 72 inch length Cabinets were easy to make and hide your storage. Only issue is needing ladder to reach the top shelves of cabinet. Great project, easy to complete.

I built these over 5 years ago & they are great! I love sitting in them to show off their strength! I used peg board for doors and on the outer walls. Also built my workshop underneath for an awesome workshop!

April 29, 8:11 AM [GMT -5]

I like this project

April 27, 5:17 AM [GMT -5]

I could certainly use the extra storage space in my garage. Thanks for the idea!