October 23, 2:58 AM [GMT -5]

Way too much to spend on a garage cabinet, plus all the labor. For that kind of money I can get unfinished kitchen cabinets, both wall and floor mounted cabinets and have cabinets more accessible than getting on a ladder to reach each piece. In addition I would have a bench top to use from the base cabinet. Poor choice of dollars here.

July 30, 10:55 AM [GMT -5]

I have built this cabinet twice now, one in each of the homes I have owned. The first was 10' in length while the second is 8' in length. It's a great system and worth the investment.

The 8' cabinet was cheaper to build, I was able to be build with 96" lumber and tracks (no need to join sections) and I replaced the 32" doors with 24" doors.

I also built the shelves from 2x2's and 1/2 ply versus using cut doors. Took longer to do, but they are stronger and cost less per shelf.

February 08, 12:26 AM [GMT -5]

I built these cabinets in my garage but only made them about 80" high to fit under the garage door track. I made the mistake of buildin the whole cabinet first then trying to mount it to the wall. Also, the walls didn't line up with the wall studs so I could only anchor it on the top and bottom. I was also concerned about putting too much weight in it and having it pull out from the studs (even though I used 1/2" lags). In order to gie it some support on the front, I drilled holes in the undersde of the front and mounted T-Nuts every foot and used 3/8" carriage bolts to sit on the floor. Overall I am pretty pleased with the project and it has definitely helped me organize my garage. I built the shelves about 18" deep which is perfect for plastic storage tubs.

Looking to start a project using a variation of this design.

Seems like this thing will be heavy..heavy..heavy with out anything stored in it. Do I need to be concerned about the load bearing capacity of my walls? My garage has a second story bonus room above it. I don't want to create any structural issues for a giant floating storage cabinet. Great design and step by step article but more information should be given about issues that could arise by putting to much weight on a wall. I realize its all engineering that may be to complex for a diy article but none the less some warning should be communicated if in fact this is a concern.

I'm guess a wall should be able to support just about anything you throw at it within reason since it is supporting a second floor. I'm not storing metal rods but holiday decorations and other bins of storage stuff.

I realized proper selection of bolts is key all I want to know is will the walls handle the weight of the cabinet plus storage

11' tall walls. 16" oc studs, it doesn't appear that the seal is bolted to the cinderblock foundation wall. Should I go ahead and bolt these down or is that overkill.

June 29, 10:16 AM [GMT -5]

beytzim: "See Garage Cabinet Materials List in Additional Information at the end of the Step-by-Step section." There is a link to a downloadable pdf file.

Still missing parts list...;(((

I built a modified version of this last year. It is perfect. I changed the plans and used wire shelving inside so that I would not need to build dividers. It is just fantastic. The sliding doors keep things clean and look very nice when closed up. Once you anchor in the frame with lag screws, it holds a tendons amount of weight. I am a 56 year old woman and I built this with the help of my adult son.

March 01, 10:29 AM [GMT -5]

How does one get this to hold on to the walls and ceiling as my ceiling is not square but slopes?
Also I do not see a way to get it to be off the of the garage floor and stay up with the weight of the cabinets let alone the items one wishes to store?

December 23, 12:46 AM [GMT -5]