November 08, 12:54 AM [GMT -5]

I cannot wait to do this to my garage!

This is a little heavy duty for art.
I guess it depends on how heavy it is?

I am looking for something like this project but for an interior hallway wall for hanging pictures and art. I assume that the major elements would be similar but would want something different for the the cleats/hanging features. Is there a project description like this already out there? I looked and did not see on DIY.

R

Duct tape is for a shim.
If you get a tight cleat.
Not all 3/4 plywood is the same.
(in fact it is not 3/4 any more)

I love the idea and have already started building it, I have one questions though...
In step 6 (Plywood mounting plates let you hang just about anything) it mentions putting duct tape between the cleat and the wood.
Why is this done?
I have never heard of doing something like this and am intrigued.
Thanks.

This is a great idea to find extra storage in your garage. I have another option that is a do-it-yourself project.

http://www.overheadshelf.com/DIY-hanging-garage-racks.html has a variety of heavy duty overhead garage storage options that are sturdy and not overpriced. I installed some of these racks in my garage a few months ago. Their website has a garage rack installation page with videos and step-by-step printable directions. I listed the address above. You can't find that everywhere.

May 04, 9:43 AM [GMT -5]

I just finished this project. It took me 4 full weekends to do 2 1/2 walls (about 40ft). I was working by myself with only average skills.
Definately recommend adding additional outlets before covering the walls. I didn't add any to one of the walls and now i need them.
i used 2x4 wire protectors instead of the aluminum. They cost .15 a piece. saved a lot of time.
Very pleased with the results. My garage now looks like a room.

February 14, 9:23 AM [GMT -5]

I completed this project in one weekend. It took about 16 hours from start to finish, however I was working alone and did not have a table saw or router table. The table saw would have been especially helpful.

My garage has concrete for the lower 3-4 feet of wall, so I decided not to cover this. I ended up doing the upper 4 feet, and did a 16 foot span. I spaced 6 rails approx. 3.5" apart, with less space under the lowest rail. This would be too close if you were hanging bikes and larger items, but in my case, it's mostly tools.

I used 1/4" red oak plywood, just because I liked the look of it better. I also used wood filler to fill the holes from the nail gun (this means you'd have to poly it after you mount the cleats to the wall). The poly really brought out the grain and color nicely.

So far I've made mounts for about 10 hooks, a Lisle air tool holder, a few t-handle allen wrench holders, wood clamp holder, and a circular saw blade holder. For the circular saw blade holder, I used two half-circle cuts of 1/2" plywood, with a C-shaped cut of 3/4" plywood sandwiched between to make a pocket that the blades fit into. Making the plates in bulk saves a lot of time.

Finished my 2.5 car garage / workshop with this system.
Very flexible & Strong
Plan ahead with additional electrical outlets prior to covering walls with plywood.

Hanging units on wall in plan were so so.
It takes time to build custom.
Result is one space two uses.

I have not done this, but I am thinking that the aluminum pieces could easily be replaced with a 2" wide strip of 3/16" hardboard. The metal brackets could be replaced by double-wide plywood brackets, chamfered to match the rails. This would take a little more labor, but the cost will be reduced significantly over purchasing the metal products.

I've had this project in my head since I first saw it in 2005. I bought the wall covering materials in 2005 and was sidetracked with all sorts of other priorities. In fact, I just noticed I need to dispose of construction adhesive, 12 month shelf life (:-(

I am now getting back to it. As I write, I am just about to fasten my 1st 4x8 sheet. I am using Luan. I came online to see nail spacing. I am strugging with the spacing of 10 inches for the 1st rail above the bottom trim. My concrete wall foundation is about 12 inches. That may waste too much wall space.

Has any one attempt this project yet?

Any feedback? i.e. what you like or don't like about this setup?

Thank you in advance.