Does anyone have any pictures of your homemade holders, shelves, etc. for this project?

To answer my own question about the copper tubing: It is for use in making handles for the tool boxes. I finally noticed the tubing in the pictures. I've already gotten some nice hardwood dowels to use for my boxes.

I hope to finish my project this weekend. When I do, I will post comments about my experience as well as a link to pictures of the finished project.

RyanBeatty-
The bevel cuts on the top and bottom of the hanger strips are apparently just for looks. The bevel at the top of the strip has been problematic for me during gluing and screwing the cleat to the back. It forces you to locate the screws through the cleat "just so" in order to screw into the full 3/4" depth of the front strip. My future strips will not have the bevel at the top in order to simplify the process. Clamping the cleat squarely during the screwing/gluing process was difficult for me due to the front bevel, too.

Here is a photo showing the placement of the screws through the cleat on a hanger strip:

The walls in my garage are open, will it still work?

Maybe I missed it in the article but where is the copper tubing listed in the Materials List used in the project?

Ramirej-
Thanks for the link for the hooks used. I spent 30 minutes searching and trying to guess how Home Depot had them listed on their website.

If anyone missed it, here it is again:

JVN

Any suggestions as to how to hang on a concrete wall ?

Thanks , J V N

I think I'll use this system and then build boxed cabinets with the cleats on the back. That way I can totally rearrange the garage on a whim...CLMINKATY

Finishing up some of the hangers and whatnot. I combined this with the other garage storage system project they had to some extent. The other system on this site uses metal backings rather than the bevels strips - I thought that was silly and probably annoying to use, so I stuck with these beveled strips and they seem great. However, I liked the idea of sheathing the wall in plywood and trimming it out to make it have a more finished look - especially since I didn't feel like painting the walls in the garage beforehand :) So I bought bunch of 1/4" plywood and laminated it to the wall with it using construction adhesive and nails in the studs, then trimmed around the outside of it with an inch of the 3/4" plywood I used for the rails. This had an added benefit - like pretty much all walls mine aren't perfectly straight, so I was able to make the trim on the outside perfectly plumb and level which gave me a perfect fit to have the rails flush against the trim.

One big question I had though - it is clear to me from the pictures that he finished his wood with some something. I was thinking just putting on polyurethane - was wondering if anybody else recognized what he finished the wood with there, as a similar look would be nice. I don't think he stained it and I'm not really wanting to do that either I don't think.

April 20, 2:18 AM [GMT -5]

Why are there bevel cuts on both ends of the bracket and hook holders? It appears in the pictures that the bevel is reversed on the bottom from the top. Does this serve a purpose that I am not understanding or can I skip that part?

March 05, 11:47 AM [GMT -5]

Anybody know about how much weight this system will hold per strip? Thanks.

January 23, 9:04 AM [GMT -5]

I used 1 x 6 lumber for my project and was able to rip it in half and use one half to mount on the wall and then the other half cut to size to mount to hooks and shelves to hang on the wall.
I've hung small parts bins, pegboard, etc off of them. Picked up a couple of Ladder Hangers from the hardware store and mounted them the same way and have a place for the ladder now that is adjustable for any length of ladder.

January 22, 7:38 AM [GMT -5]

What if your garage walls are concrete? Any suggestions? Thanks!

November 11, 10:27 AM [GMT -5]

Great project. Not really a weekend project unless you have everything at your fingertips. several hours just to go get materials and such ( not to mention moving all the junk out of the way ). If you have a buddy that has a table saw then buy him a case of beer. Long rips for the wall strips and such are sloooow going with a circular saw. Also, I have a compound miter saw so I just ran the hardware mounting material from the plywood (using 45 deg bevels, of course) and put the 45's on the ends with the chop saw. That way you can cut any length you need. Much easier than making jigs. I also made shelf brackets from plywood. It's a lot cheaper as my home depot wanted around $7each for the brackets in photos. Thanks again for the project. My garage is awesome now.

Here is the link to the hooks in the article.

TFR

Tim
The only place to get the hangers (hooks) shown in this project is Home Depot. They have Everbilt as the manufacturer. They come in a package with two straight hangers and two curved hangers for 6.99. From the package, it looks as though Home Depot imports these and I could not find them anywhere else. If you look on the HD website they are hard to find. They appear on the very last page (5) when you browse for "hook assortment" . Very difficult to find. I bought 4 packages of these to start after driving out of town to Home Depot and just ordered 4 more packages of these to finish the wall.

September 15, 9:47 AM [GMT -5]

Can anyone share where they have found the storage hooks shown in this article? I can't find them at Home Depot, as suggested in the article, or anywhere else on the web. Help!

Tim

August 30, 9:25 AM [GMT -5]

Question about material, I have lots of 1 x 6 tongue and groove left from sheathing the inside of a pole-barn and was wonder if that is usable for making the wall system to use in the barn?