Required Tools for this Project
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
You’ll also need a stud finder, stepladder, utility knife, voltage tester and wire stripper/cutter.
Required Materials for this Project
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here's a list.
- Box extender (Raco 187 or similar)
- 4-in. square x 1-1/2-in.-deep metal boxes
- 4-in. square raised covers
- 10-ft. lengths of 1/2-in.
- PVC conduit
- Container of PVC electrical conduit glue
- 1/2-in. PVC male adapters
- 1/2-in.electrical connector locknuts
- 90-degree PVC bend with hub
- 1/2-in. PVC couplings
- Straps for 1/2-in. PVC
- Green ground screws
- White THHN 14-gauge*
- Black THHN 14-gauge*
- Green THHN 14-gauge*
- 1/4-20 x 3-in. two-piece toggle bolts
- Screw-in drywall anchors
- 15-amp receptacles
- 15-amp single-pole switch
- Light fixtures
- Bulbs or tubes
- Wire connectors
* Use 12-gauge wire for 20-amp circuits.