Squeaky floors mean the wood is rubbing and dry but before you try expensive fixes try a little baby powder. I have very old floors and after using the baby powder they stopped squeaking. Put a lite coat of powder at the noisy area and tap with a rubber mallet. Wipe up excuse powder, tap again then sweep up. After a few days vacuum the area.

the squeak is one section o the oak floor in the living room. below is a finished living room no exposed underside. how do u fix the squeak without tearing the ceiling from below which is not likely to happen. is there a fix for this

If I have access both underneath the subfloor as well as above (I will be removing the existing vinyl floor tile in preparation for ceramic floor tile), are the from-underneath approaches still the best practice, or is it also fine to screw down the squeaky areas from above (as long as I countersink the screw heads) ? Thanks

the floor is on the second level and the first has a ceiling. The hardwood floor is from the 40's and are only 1" wide. Not tongue&groove

The only way to fix the sqeek in bi level floors is tear the flooring up and re-nail the subfloor down. Just figured i would post on your post to help you out.

This is only good if you can reach the underside of the floor. With 2 story or bi-levels the squeak has to be fixed from the floor side down. I'd like to see instructions for that.

April 27, 7:43 AM [GMT -5]

My living room floor squeaks in one certain spot. I'll need to try this and see if I can get rid of the squeak.