April 11, 5:36 AM [GMT -5]

While consider to do the flooring of your bathroom, theres one more thing to remember and that is using anti skid free tiles specially if there is any old person going to use it.

January 29, 9:53 AM [GMT -5]

Thanks for the great detailed article. I have been holding my wife off on this project for some time. But she won out eventually as usuall. My main concern was I did not want to pull up the old flooring and was suspect of asbestos. Did send off for an asbestos test and it came back negative. The project went great and I'm now on th another bathroom !!! One thing I did while preping the floor was to take my inline sander to the old floor to scratch it up some. Not sure I needed to do that because the thinset I used to level out the sides where the old floor was loose stuck to the old flooring great.
Thanks for helping me get started on a long overdo tile job. And it came out looking like a pro did it.

I need to raise my subfloor 1/2 inch. Currently, there is a 3/4 inch pine tongue and groove and 3/4 inch ply. When raising above a crawlspace, can I lay plastic down before backerboard? thinking of waterproofing the floors. Would there be any vapor barrier problems?

October 28, 5:03 PM [GMT -5]

I will be starting my tiling projects this weekend. Bath, Mud room, and sun porch. This is the best, most thorough guide I have come across. Thanks!!

One tool that I would suggest using to make the correct tile cuts is the MeasureRight Pro at Tileright.com. This tool helps you mark your complicated tile cuts when laying out the perimeter tiles. The tool has also helped me on jobs where the walls are not perfectly square so I was not wasting time or material making cuts.

Learn from my mistake: after cleaning grout off tile, DO NOT dump the grout water down your drain, no matter how thin it seems. It will clog your pipes!!!

One of the first things I would suggest if you plan on redoing your bathroom flooring is check into installing a floor radiant heat system. They are not that expensive and adds comfort and value to your home.

I have found that for shaping tile for odd shapes I use a woven Carberandom blade on my circular saw and use the side or the end of the blade or to create the shape I need. like the curve around the edge of a bathtub.

I also have done some ceramic tile projects. They've turned out so well that my friends and family have asked me to do their floors.

April 28, 8:49 AM [GMT -5]

Oh yeah, one tip I do have...is get a helper to do the cutting of the tiles so that you're not having to get up and down so much. It's nice to have someone cutting and handing you the tiles while you're doing the work on the floor.

April 28, 8:48 AM [GMT -5]

I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I tiled two bathrooms, a mud room, and my foyer. It definitely was labor intensive, but it turned out great and I'm very proud of it.