October 14, 3:58 PM [GMT -5]

I have hung many doors in my time ( I am a remodeling contractor) An 1 tip I will give on this is, don't plumb your hinge side jamb by putting your level on the hinges themselves. Actually open the door and plumb on the jamb itself. Also by doing it this way you can see if the jamb is straight, as you will see gaps between the level and the jamb. Then shim any areas as needed to straighten out the jamb.

September 12, 9:25 AM [GMT -5]

Has anyone else tried the door installation brackets they sell at home depot for beginners, instead of using shims? I seen KyleOrton's comment below and i felt the need to respond by saying i used them and I thought they where awesome. No shimming and i had the door up in around 10 minutes. I hung 1 solid core door and 2 hollow. The solid core, i replaced a hinge screw in each hinge with a longer screw. Install was plenty strong enough. Im guessing KyleOrton didnt add the long hinge screws that the manfacturer suggests?

Orange Bag in the door aisle. In my mind, they where worth every penny.

January 27, 11:42 AM [GMT -5]

I found this article because I had tried the Quick Door Hanger spamming below and it didn't work at all for me. I was hanging a solid core door, but these just aren't up to the task with the weight.

I still needed some pointers as it was my first time hanging a door by myself and the tips in this article were perfect. It's dead on and much easier than fiddling with brackets. Thanks!

January 27, 9:44 AM [GMT -5]

Hanging a door with shims can really be a pain. Especially if it's your first time. I would recommend a bracket system like EZHang for installing doors. It makes the job much faster and easier.

I tried using the ez hang bracket and it worked out very well because there a bracket for the top of the door jam and the door I was hanging had a large bow in the top.

December 19, 9:17 AM [GMT -5]

This is an outdated method for installing doors. Bracket installation systems are much easier and faster then using shims for beginners. There available at Home Depot in door aisle. Its called the Quick Door Hanger and is the same price as a pack of shims.

I am a contractor with 25 years of door installation experience. I use a product called EZHang. It's a 7 brackets system for installing doors. You get a quality, sturdy installation when you use it. It really takes 7 brackets to hold the door in place over time, especially heavy doors. The bracket on the top of the door aids in keeping the door from shifting side to side over time.

March 22, 7:29 AM [GMT -5]

Excellent tips

March 01, 9:35 AM [GMT -5]

There is a much easier way of hanging interior doors now. You no longer need to shim or do all the hard work of plumbing(leveling). There is a new product that is available online at the home depots website. Its called the quick door hanger. A beginner can literally hang a door in under 15 minutes with just a level and a power drill using these 5 dollar bracket kits. If you youtube "how to hang a door express products" then click on the quick door hanger video it will tell you all about it. I recommend it to everyone.

October 23, 9:02 PM [GMT -5]

Some of the information is great. I would caution that the boards used in conjuction with the level better be some of the straightest, plumbest things you have ever seen or this method could lead to problems.

It was great to find this especially since I did hire a contractor who was suppose to do this but due to fraud on his part, I am left to finish the project on my own.

Great step-by-stpe directions.

April 27, 11:59 AM [GMT -5]

This will be helpful as the maintenance crew messed up my apartment door by painting it on all edges.