Required Tools for this Project
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
Required Materials for this Project
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here's a list.
- Pressure-treated joists (match the existing deck)
- Pressure-treated 6x6
- Pressure-treated 2x8 (for landing)
- Pressure-treated 2x6 (for landing) and 2x4
- Low maintenance decking and hidden fasteners
- Spindles and Uniball connectors
- Cedar 4x4 posts
- Cedar 2x12, 2x6, 2x4, 1x8
- Grippable handrail
- 2 1/2 and 3-in. deck screws
- 3/8-in. hot-dipped galvanized bolts, washers, nuts