Like the article pointed out, I had water entering behind the siding and destroyed plywood sheathing (once wet, doesn't last). Water was entering on top of threshold, then draining to the sides under the door casing and behind the siding.

Repaired the sheathing. Ripped the old deck down. Removed the ledger and flashing and replaced with siding.

New freestanding deck, built by some pro's, is awesome. No regrets.

I think when they said "Lag Screws" After looking at the Picture 'reeeeallly Close" they are actually Lag Bolts. I believe there are some building codes require them to be spaced at various intervals along the lengths of the Ledger. Depending on the Heigth (width) of the 2 x ? it may be required to put 2 lag bolts instead of just one. The really BIG deal is to ensure it gets through to the House Main Joist system.

As for the Floatintg decks some bldg codes require them to be attached to the house if they are with in so many feet/inches. Come to think of it some Insurance companies may not insure a deck unless it is connected to the hose.
Bottom line is to check with LOCAL Building code and just don't do the minimums.

The picture shows alumunum flashing touching PT lumber but my understanding is that this causes corrosion because of copper in the lumber and should not be used. If someone has a different method of flashing, please submit. I have used plastic ledgers instead of the shown metal in the picture but the picture here still shows an aluminum drip cap right on the lumber. Any addtional advice would be appreciated.

Why attach to house at all?

I simply build free-standing decks with about an 1 1/2" gap and eliminate a number of potential problems.

I'm in the planning process for a new deck. From what I understand the new code in most parts of the country require "bolting" the ledger board to the house instead of using lag screws. The requirement is bolts with washers and nuts to secure the ledger board.

A few months ago I built a deck using Maine Brackets. Not only are these aluminum "I" beams cool to look at, but when installed correctly they eliminate the need for flashing and will never trap water. It is another option.