Ordinary doormats simply can't handle serious muck, but you can clean out packed dirt from even the deepest boot treads with this boot scraper made from 2x4s.
- Screw the base pieces (A and B) together upside down so that the screw heads are hidden.
- Fasten the uprights (C) to the sides (D), then screw the side brushes on with 2-in. screws.
- Screw the bottom brushes to the base with 2-in. screws.
- Space the side pieces so that the bristles are roughly 4-1/2 in. apart.
- Add a piece of aluminum angle to the front edge so you can scrape boots before brushing them.
Use stiff-bristle brushes—either “bilevel” brushes or deck scrub brushes. You may need to cut off part of the handle so the brush will lie flat.