August 13, 4:11 AM [GMT -5]

I had a Steam Cleaning company do our carpets and will never have another do it. I rented a rug doctor from a local store and being we have pets I used the per formula cleaning solution. AMAZING results!!! ServiceMaster not worth the money.

January 09, 11:17 AM [GMT -5]

The house that we moved into has a couple of pet stains that I don't know how to get rid of. Would commercial carpet cleaning in Vancouver be able to get them out, or is there something at home I could try?

In response to a reader's query about removing older stains, I've had really good luck with any cleaner that has the word "oxy" in it - especially the Resolve and Woolite products. Just be sure to follow the directions carefully. I found that working in circular motions and "feathering" the cleaner on the edges of the stain helps to minimize any stain or too-clean spot that's left. That brings up another problem - if your carpet is soiled overall, the clean spot is going to stick out, so be prepared to shampoo the whole thing if that will bother you. I highly recommend the upright cleaners you can rent from home improvement stores - it did an awesome job on my carpets.

July 20, 10:31 AM [GMT -5]

This strategy works reasonably well, particularly given that it doesn't require special potions and cleaners; definitely sufficient as First Aid. However, the tip presupposes that you catch your pet "in the act" and find the stain while still moist. But who is this fortunately, especially in a multi-pet household when you must figure out "who done it" as well? Usually, cats will not fail their litter boxes as long as they are healthy and not unduly stressed out; if a cat does, step 4 should be "trip to the vet for urinalysis", no question. -- Do you have good recommendations for un-fresh stains??? Finding them is easily done with a black-light/Woods-lamp, which will make urine stains (and some others as well) glow in the dark. I stick post-it notes on the spots while the lights are out to mark the spots that I wouldn't see with the lights on. Also, it appears that treatment of un-fresh urine stains must be done in two stages: elimination of smell, then extraction of stain. I find the latter particularly challenging; any proven strategies there??

De-moisturizing will be much faster and more complete if, instead of the towel and book stack, you use your heel.
Just place a stack of paper towels (or fold a few if the area is small) over the wet area. Place your heel on the stack (in several locations if necessary). Turn the stack of paper towels over and replace as they become wet.
The weight of your body will remove water faster and more completely. The books don't have enough weight to do much and they can be damaged by the moisture.

Duh! common sense prevails,