August 09, 6:47 PM [GMT -5]

Hi,

I am laying out a frame for an outdoor kitchen. I need 16 feet of track for back edge of the base. Is it okay to overlay/overlap two pieces of track by a foot or so and screw them together through the bottom? I haven't found a good solution for this in pictures online. The overlap doesn't seem to fit as well as I'd like...

June 10, 6:54 AM [GMT -5]

To pjnewt just use a 1 1/4'' self taping screw it can hold almost anything the pullout is something like 200lbs.

To krauser: Yes the make a top track with 3'' side legs to allow movement in the floor and ceiling just remember NEVER fasten the stud to the top track. its ok the drywall will hold the studs straight.

To Jhawk1942: You can span the 6' with no problem with something called CRC (cold rolled channel) this is what its made for. It's simply a 1 1/2'' wide flat metal bar that fits in the knockouts ( the holes in the middle of the stud). just layout the studs so the knockouts line up down the soffit slide the CRC in the knockouts and twist the CRC so it fits tight in the holes. home centers will probably not have this but, all building supply shops will its a very common product.

February 18, 9:27 AM [GMT -5]

I would like to finish my basement using metal studs as framing. The project would involve creating soffits to cover beams and air ducts. Some of the soffits would be about 6 feet wide, so I was wondering if that could still be done with metal studs. I hope to have the soffits covered in drywall, and the other larger section of the finished with a drop ceiling. Since the wide soffit would have to support heavy drywall, do the support members (metal studs) need to be installed in special way? I'm thinking it can't be as easy as building a wall structure and then flipping it to be installed horizontally.

I love the idea of having straight walls by using steel studs. However, I live in an area that requires the walls to have up to a 3 inch float because of expansive soils. How do you handle the float in this situation? I have finished a basement with wood studs in the past with the float at the bottom. I am concerned that the weight of the finished wall will be too much for metal studs if the float is at the bottom. Can the float be at the top and how do you do that?

Would some one speak to the issue of hanging shelves, heavy shelves, and pictures on walls with steel studs?

December 30, 10:36 AM [GMT -5]

I found the prices for metal studs vary and can be near the same as wood. The installation time for metal is longer, but I received the satisfaction of having "true" walls along with the knowledge that basement moisture will have a much less affect on metal versus wood, I would recommend the use of metal in any basement having medium to high levels of humidity.