September 04, 11:44 AM [GMT -5]

I am about to install an egress window and wanted to have a few things clarified;

I want to increase the size of my window from 30inX15in to 30X47in. This window is on a wall that is perpendicular to the floor joists. (in Manitoba allowable window opening is 3.77in)

1. Do i need a new support header, since the window width is not changing? (staying at 30in)

2. Does a support wall need to be constructed if i am only changing the length of the window and not the width?

3. I am increasing the width of 2 additional windows which are on a wall parallel to the floor joints (30in to 47in). I am under the impression that since they are not load bearing, i do not need new additional support headers (besides new framing), or need to construct a support wall because they are non-loadbearing.

Can anyone clarify these for me?

What about the engineer's report? Can we do this ourselves?

I am planning to install a window in my basement and will use this step by step as a guide. Any thoughts on what type of header is necessary in the gable side of a 2 story house? It does not appear to be load bearing as the floor joists are parallel. I am having difficulty finding framing information when the floor joists are parallel to the basement wall.

Hi,
You did a nice job.
As a structural Engineer , I would sugget to install your headers on the concrete blocks and not on the studs(Wooden Posts). There is a possibility of buckling the studs if additional loads added to floor and joists.
As you mentioned, structural calculations need to be performed prior to the installation of headers and studs and all the live load and dead loads need to be calculated to make sure the headers and studs are taking all the loads.

Thanks,
Mike

Jeremy, You can save money by building it out of timbers. I just completed this project and I compared prices between the fiberglass wells and wood. The price was less for the wood and it looks better. For drainage if you use the rocks in the recommended way of the article (using pea gravel on top layer and keeping it 6-8 inches below the window) and tie into the drain to your sump pump, you shouldn’t get any water up to the window.

January 10, 9:14 AM [GMT -5]

What about digging the hole and putting up the window well? Is there any concerns with water drainage and should you stay away from the weeping tile or connect to it in any way?

I added a basement egress window several years ago, and I wish I'd known some of these tips...it would have helped out a lot. This is the best online article by far I've EVER run into on the subject. Thanks for the photos, tips, and instructions.

October 13, 2:34 PM [GMT -5]

I just wanted to compliment TFH for this EXCELLENT article. The photos were excellent and clearly illustrated the necessary steps / tools / techniques and the article was clearly written with many good tips that I'd never considered.

THANK YOU!

I liked the article so much-- I just signed-up for a two year subscription!

June 27, 1:31 AM [GMT -5]

How about an article on puttin in a egress door. I am our of room in my garage and have lots of room in my basement.