June 24, 11:44 AM [GMT -5]

I bought the liquivac pictured in this article but its tube was too wide to fit down the transmission fill tube. The picture in this article looks like they connected a smaller diameter tube to the liquivac tube with some sort of adapter. Where can I purchase such a tube and adapter?

SHELLCARTEL,
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION,NO. YOU WOULD NEED TO REMOVE THE TRANSMISSION COMPLETELY TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE TORQUE CONVEVTER TO REMOVE ALL THE OLD FLUID. PRO SHOPS USE A PUMP TO CYLCE FULID THUR THE TRANSMISSIOM TILL ALL THE OLD IS REMOVED.

What if you drain the fluid the traditional way ( From the bottom ) will all the old fluid drain out in one service , without leaving a high percentage in the system?

Adding the same amount back in that you removed is only valid if the amount of transmission fluid was correct to start with. I'd recommending checking the fluid once replaced to ensure it is the correct level...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that if the transmission filter is more of a strainer rather than a filter, as in the case of an oil filter, I don't see the big fuss about changing the transmission filter when the transmission oil is changed. Anybody agree? What about the BG flush system???

October 07, 12:42 PM [GMT -5]

So helpful

August 18, 6:30 PM [GMT -5]

You can find an inexpensive pump at Harbor Freight. Part # 6648. From time to time there are coupons in the back of the magazine for these pumps.

I purchased a much more expensive model from Mightyvac. It was very messy, very slow and leaked horribly after a couple uses.

August 17, 2:09 PM [GMT -5]

I'm eager to try changing my transmission fluid, but can't find any place that sells a vacuum pump -- or anything similar. Can you provide info about where I can purchase the required pump?

Thanks.

NDPHAN

As busted_knuck stated the only time to remove pan or replace filter would be a high mileage vehicle thats never been changed or known mechanical damage internally to the transmission. I change mine every 40-50K miles with average driving; If towing or a performance car more often.

October 13, 12:04 PM [GMT -5]

This is one of the best deals going. For those of us who have changed tranny "filters" in the past you come to realize that the "filter" is actually more of a "strainer" that does not require replacement at every fluid change. If concerned, simply go to an auto parts store and ask to look at the one for your make/model/year vehicle. Hold it up to the light to gauge its stopping power (little) and its holding power (almost none) I'd almost guarentee that, unless there's a major failure of the tranny, before that strainer is blocked, your car will be long ago broken down. I do recommend doing this when the car and replacement fluid are at the same temperature - not hot.

September 18, 12:44 AM [GMT -5]

Agree, never, EVER do this on an old car!!! I wish the mag would get real ASE techs writting these articles and not some PR guy. Bad advice, I think.

RJE

July 04, 9:31 AM [GMT -5]

Just changing the fluid doesn't do a lot of good if you don't change out the dirty filter